Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Blooming Orchid

by M. J. Joachim

It is a gift from my kids - either Mother’s Day or my birthday this past year, I forget which. The bloom was positively gorgeous, until it withered and died.

For months I stared at that long stem, noting that the leaves were still very green and healthy, so I knew I hadn’t killed the poor darling. I kept watering it, hoping it would bud and bloom again. Much to my dismay, nothing - just a long stem with tiny brown spots where buds and flowers used to be.

There simply had to be a way…so I youtubed it and watched quite a few videos on how to grow orchids. I also read articles from reputable gardening sites. Each said to snip it at the first nodule. I was fearful, but one day I decided it might be worth it to just go ahead and cut the darn thing.



With my scissors at the ready, I rewatched a couple of youtube videos, making sure to do exactly what they said and demonstrated. That was several weeks (possibly 2+ months ago).

Today I’m sharing the new bud that has finally appeared and promises to grow more orchid blooms. Isn’t it lovely?



Happy Wednesday to you!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: M. J. Joachim ©2014 All Rights Reserved