Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Giving Twitter the Bird for This One!


by M. J. Joachim

I’m just going to put this out there, because it’s the truth. I need more twitter followers. 

Here’s the thing. Twitter is enforcing limits on how many people I can follow, based on how many people follow me. I’m following a few hundred more tweeters than are following me. I’ve read I can unfollow some of them, but that seems a little weird. It’s like choosing between eating chocolate cheesecake or eating chocolate cream pie. They’re both chocolate and dessert. They’re both in the shape of a pie slice. They’re both cold and wonderful. How am I supposed to choose, if given the choice? Knowing how much I like chocolate, I’d probably choose both and then have a chocolate candy bar too.

I’ve heard you can “buy” twitter followers. That seems a little odd to me. Google+ doesn’t have limits and it doesn’t make you buy followers either. Facebook doesn’t have friends limits that I know of…maybe I just don’t have enough friends on Facebook and have never run into this there before…hmmm… Pinterest is like a hoarding site where you can follow not only people, but anything and everything they might be interested in. Then you can pass it around to all those following you, and they can pass it around and so on, and so on, and so on…

I’ve run into limits on blogger before. You can only follow so many blogs, before blogger says you’re following too many. My easiest solution for that is to follow them on other social networking sites, and to follow them through our mutual exchange of comments, as well as to follow them by randomly visiting my own followers. I don’t have to follow numerous blogs to keep in touch with all my blogging friends. There are plenty of ways to do that.

But with Twitter, I won’t get their tweets unless I’m following them. Hello, I won’t read their tweets or be able to retweet them, unless I can follow them. That means that all those people who recently started following me on twitter either think I don’t care enough to return the favor, or think I’m too busy to be on twitter or think I’m a tweet snob or worse yet a twit!

I’m none of those tweet boogies just mentioned in the previous paragraph. I simply can’t follow anyone on twitter and it makes me so darned mad too!

Giving you the bird for this one Twitter,

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Bird with a different mood, Rupchand Kundu, Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0 Unported