Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Canning Bug Bites!

by M. J. Joachim


It’s been a few weeks now since I discovered how much I enjoy canning. Well, in those few weeks, I’ve managed to make quite a stockpile of home canned goods in my pantry. I’ve made everything from fruits to sauces, broths to main course meals. I even canned six jars of my husband’s homemade chili. It’s super good, but man does he make a ton of it when he gets bit by the cooking bug!

A little trick I learned in my research is to add Vitamin C to the mix when you’re canning meat and veggies. I grind up 1,000 mg per pint and add it to the recipe pot, before processing the jars in the  hot water bath. You can’t taste it, and it brings up the acid levels for an added layer of food preservation safety in the kitchen. I don’t do this when I’m pickling things though. Then I simply follow the recipe.

Anyway, today my daughter got that funny look on her face. She’d been in and out of the pantry, looking at me sort of sideways in the kitchen as I stirred my next kettle of vittles, and moved jars back and forth for canning. I made 18 jars of goodies from 3 recipes today. The pantry has been rearranged a few times in recent days to make room for everything. My poor daughter looked at me and said, “We’re running out of room for food, Mom. You aren’t planning to quit going grocery shopping anytime soon, are you?”

I looked at her and said, “There’s plenty of fresh produce in the fridge. Have a salad or an apple if you’re hungry.”

I remember when they thought they were going to have to pry the crochet hook from my hands. Now I’m already planning to teach my granddaughter to crochet, and she’s only a few weeks old.

Best of the day to you all! Thanks for stopping by,

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: 4-H Club Member Storing Food Grown in Her Garden,
Rockbridge County Virginia, Public Domain, US Dept. of Agriculture Extension Service