Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Stock Time

by M. J. Joachim


I’m a big fan of keeping stock on hand, the kind you eat, not the kind you lose in the stock market.

My basic vegetarian recipe includes carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, (onions, which are optional, depending on my mood) and lots of water.  I also add salt and pepper to taste. I boil everything for a couple of hours, strain it and use it through the week. Sometimes I drink it as a snack. Often, I will can a few jars to keep on hand.

For chicken stock, I add a whole washed and skinned chicken to the pot. For beef stock, I add beef, sometimes a really tough piece I got on sale. It’s the broth I’m after, and beef flavors it whether it’s tough or not. Sometimes making beef broth with tough meat is enough to make the beef suitable to cut and shred for other meals.

When I can my stock I like to add crushed Vitamin C tablets, 1,000 mg p/pint. This raises the acid level a bit. I also process it for at least 3 hours. Sometimes I’ll add a bottle of red wine to my beef stock. It also raises the acid levels, but more importantly it gives beef broth a hearty flavor that is perfect for stews and stroganoff.

Chicken broth is always refrigerated before canning. So is beef broth sometimes, depending on the fat amount. This way, the fat solidifies at the top, and I remove as much as I possibly can. I’m not real big into adding unnecessary fat into my meals or diet.

One of the reasons I don’t always add onion to broth is because I’ve heard onion is bad for dogs. Sometimes when they’re being picky eaters or just not feeling well, I put a little broth on their food to keep them happy, but I won’t do this if my broth has onion in it.

So there you have it, a few recipes for making stock - veggie, chicken and beef. Bindu asked me for a few more canning recipes, and since I’m making veggie stock later today, I thought this would be apropos.

Thanks again for stopping by. Blogging is so much more fun when you have company!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: broth, mariuszjbie, GNU Free Documentation License