Thursday, October 23, 2014

Home Canned Very Veggie Bean Soup

by M. J. Joachim




Here's the deal. I kind of made it up as I went along, and I was canning, but I also wrote it as I went along, so I'm not sure how to decrease it for you. Bottom line, my family says it’s one of the best bean soup recipes I’ve ever made, and they’ve always raved about how good my beans are.

2 pounds great northern white beans
3 large red peppers
2 med yellow onions
1 whole garlic bulb - not cloves, the whole thing
Less than 1/4 cup salt
1 whole celery stalk - again, not individual stalks, the whole thing
1 bunch parsley
Lots of freshly ground pepper

Step 1: Wash beans and put in large pot with enough water to double their height in pot.

Step 2: Clean all veggies and chop coarsly in food processor, adding each in turn to the pot.

Step 3: Add more water to pot as beans become soft and soak up water. Be careful not to add so much water that soup becomes watery and stays too thin.

Step 4: Add fresh ground pepper.

Step 5: Let beans and veggies boiling high for 10 - 20 min. Lower heat to low/med. cover and summer until beans are soft and plump. Eat some and can the rest. I made 8 pint jars and dinner for 4 with this recipe.

Step 6: Process in hot water bath - 60 minutes for pints, 75 minutes for quarts

Thanks for stopping by FlashTyme today. I really do appreciate it!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: M. J. Joachim, Very Veggie Bean Soup, ©2014 All Rights Reserved