Sunday, October 26, 2014

Gluten Free Whiskey

by M. J. Joachim


I went gluten free a little over a year ago for health reasons. There’s a long and detailed family history about all the trouble some of my siblings have gone through because of gluten; I was having similar symptoms that were wreaking havoc with my health, so I went gluten free of my own volition. It worked, and many of my health problems dramatically improved or cleared up altogether.

Whiskey has always been my hard liquor of choice, but as many of you know, whiskey is made from grain. I was reading enough labels and didn’t want to mess with booze, so I opted to switch to Bacardi Superior Rum and coke when I wanted to have a mixed drink. It was an easy button, I admit, but it worked for well over a year.

Recently I really started missing my whiskey/coke, and being a “pro” on the gluten free food front, I decided to research and find out if there were any whiskey distilleries that make gluten free whiskey. I certainly was not disappointed when I found out that Maker’s Mark is made from corn - no gluten grains in it at all!

My husband was doing his own bit of research. He brought home a bottle of Tullamore Dew - one of my absolute favorites! Turns out Tullamore Dew is triple distilled, removing the gluten threat in the process. Okay, I was a little nervous about drinking it at first, but once I had a small glass and didn’t have any reaction, I knew it was okay for me to drink on those rare occasions, when I want to have a straight shot. My grandma taught me to drink it straight - Straight Shot Grandma Smith, we used to call her. She wasn’t a drunk, she simply didn’t like mixing flavors with her whiskey.

Maker’s Mark is made from corn, so it’s a safe and sure bet for those with gluten problems.

Tullamore Dew is triple distilled and doesn’t bother me at all. 

I’ve only accidentally had gluten once since going gluten free, and within 20 minutes, I was positively beside myself in pain and didn’t recover until several hours into the next day. I don’t know anyone else’s sensitivities to gluten, so you’ll have to decide for yourself to see if you want to drink Tullamore Dew too. I’m not trying to get anyone sick by putting this out there, and advise drinking it at your own risk. All necessary disclaimers apply here, because I know what it’s like to get sick from gluten and wouldn’t wish that on anyone!

Cheers!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Various Whiskies, Chris Huh, GNU Free Documentation License