Saturday, October 18, 2014

Adding Preservatives to Home Canned Food

by M. J. Joachim


So when I decided to really learn how to can food, I visited loads of websites and watched dozens of videos to learn how to do it right.

Something that struck me kind of oddly is that several of the more “professional” sites and videos seem to have a catch. They try to make canning more complicated - I mean, sell worthy. In other words, they get all scientific on us and try to sell us products to help preserve the food.

Maybe it’s just me, but canning has been around for centuries, and to the best of my knowledge, its purpose is to preserve food. Way back when, food was much more seasonal. Winters could be long and hard, and food might be scarce. If you didn’t can it when it was available, you wouldn’t have it at all.

Which is why I’m making my recipes - good old family favorites and some delightfully delicious new ones. I’m still following necessary guidelines, because no one needs to get sick or anything, but I’m also canning to preserve the food, without adding extra preservatives. After all, that’s one of the biggest reasons I started canning in the first place.

Thanks for stopping by today,

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved No part of this blog may be copied in any way, shape or form without direct, written consent from the author. Thank you. Photo credit: Finished Product, Leslie Seaton, Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic