Friday, February 1, 2013

The Antics of Brutus and Omar


by M. J. Joachim
“If I just oots a little closer, she won’t notice what I’m doing.”

“You’ll have to be sly about it, or she’ll hear you and come out here. If she finds out, we’re both bound to get in big trouble.”

“Honestly, I don’t see why she cares so much.”

“I know, right? I mean, if it were that important to her, she wouldn’t leave it out like this!”

“Okay, you stand guard and I’ll stick my nose under the towel.”

“Got it! I’ll meow real loud when she starts coming down the hall.”

“Oh gosh, this smells good. My nose hasn’t sniffed something this good in a long time!”

Brutus’s tail started wagging enough to shake the entire counter. He was a big, black lab, and he was a klutz. Omar the cat wasn’t much better. Always finding ways to eat when he wasn’t supposed to, this monstrosity of a cat could barely squeeze through the doggie door.

As best friends, they understood each other well, and still worked together to minimize the consequences of their rambunctious ways.

“Oh no, she’s coming!”

“I thought you said you were going to meow!”

“I was, but I forgot. Quick! Wait! Give me some!”

“Ouch! What’d ya do that for?! Now the glass is shattered all over the floor, and I just cut my tongue!”

“Brutus! Omar! Aarrrggghhh!!!”

In spite of herself, she smiled. “Guess there won’t be any homemade bread tonight,” she said, as she started cleaning up the floor.

#####

Thank you for visiting FlashTyme,

M. J.

Photo credit:  Stanislav Jelen, Creative Commons Attribution
©2013 All Rights Reserved