Friday, September 14, 2012

Internal Dialog

by M. J. Joachim


“Don’t even get me started about the day you sent him packing!”

“But he was cheating on me. What else was I supposed to do?”

“Yea, but you knew then that your world would be turned upside down. How could you possibly expect to be any better off, now that you have to sell yourself for money on the streets, just to survive?!”

“I didn’t want to…you know I didn’t want to!”

“It’s only a small needle. Just take it… to ease some of the pain…”

“I was a wealthy business woman, married to one of the richest men in town. How did it come to this? Shooting up? No, no…I can’t possibly do that…what would my kids think if they ever find me?!”

“Just a little…you don’t need much.”

“There’s a better path for me, one that will solve this mess and minimize my family’s pain.”

The noise was horrifyingly deafening as she fell to the floor, brains exploding and landing on the others, broken people who chose to be numb instead. Not one of them heard a thing.

©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Creative Commons Attribution